Thursday, May 24, 2012

The much anticipated REVEAL!

So I had hopes of revealing the kitchen when everything was finished...by finished I mean fertig, completo, paint all put away, nothing lingering finito....but alas...this is as good as it gets! :) We still have few things to touch up and follow up with the contractor....but here you have it!!!

In case you can't remember what the original looked like, refer to this post.

We knocked out part of the wall where the original door was to make a 5-ish foot opening like the other openings in the dining room. Now the kitchen is more part of the rest of the house instead of just where the made slaves :) here are some other perspectives.

We also created a pass through from the kitchen to the sunroom.

Doesn't photograph well, but I like to know what the dogs are barking at while I'm in the kitchen and also it will be functional for entertaining.

Here's from the other side.

And now for some details....

Some of our favorite Parts of the new kitchen:

  • We finally have an ice maker!!!! Woo hoo!!! That was a big step up for us!
  • We used to have a cluster of a mess in the corner from all of our utensils, spatulas, etc. We know have them contained in this love utensil holder from Sur la Table. We learned officially it's called a crock!
  • I used to have a stand with a drawer that my Keurig would sit on like this. It could hold my coffee pods and was very functional, but in the new kitchen it makes the Keurig stand to tall, you can't open the lid. I was a little bummed about it, but then I found this dandy carousel which I love!! I think it's very inviting for guests to help themselves to a cup coffee :) and also very easy to clean
So come on over for a cup of coffee!!! (unless I don't know you, then call first!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Another peek at the pass through!
  • With our beautiful new fridge, we also wanted a fun magnetic bottle opener similar to one my arents have. We came across the clink n drink
It works like a charm!! You can open bottles one handed, and it'll catch the caps, right there before they fall to the ground. I would not recommend you go near it if you have a pace maker or braces or anything metal of the sort.. It's a pretty serious magnet!!!

  • Our faucet is the Delta Leland. We splurged a little on this, not a lot though....who knew faucets could be upwards of $700!!! This was nowhere close to that!!!
 

  • Granite!! We didn't have a lot of surface area to cover, so when considering, corion, granite, laminate, or whatever else is available...it was granite hands down (or up). It was the only thing I really insisted on! Well, that and an undermounted sink. Ahhhhh totally worth it! The color we chose is called oro brasil (spelling?)
  • Cabinets and drawers. We went with kraftmaid (better on price for us). A simple door design, Cherry with a kaffee glaze, and simple hardware.
The drawers and doors have the "soft close" feature! So yay!! No slamming And they practacally close themselves. I bought these great drawer organizers from bed bath and beyond.

  • Lighting: we debated a long time about under cabinet lighting. It was a pretty significant expense to consider (roughly $200 a pop for those considering a kitchen remodel) but we're extremely happy with our decision to go ahead with it! To offset the cost of the undercounted lighting we decided NOT to go with any type of recessed lighting (which would have required essentially taking down the old ceiling and installing a totally new one) and we saved some money putting new fixtures where the old ones were originally. We decided on a small celing fan to help with air circulation. The pendant light is unfortunately more for decoration than functional. Wade calls it the "night light" haha!
 

 

  • There are some other features of the kitchen we love that I did not photograph or mention, the pull out trash can, subway tile backsplash, the floor, and the lazy Susan cabinet in the corner, but now I can hang up my apron and call the reveal finished...for now :)
 

1 comment:

  1. WOWZERS!! Looks amazing! I picked the same cabinets and granite for my condo! I think you were smart to do under lights. I wish so bad we had them but they are expensive.
    Makes it so much easier to see while cooking!
    We're ready to come visit again! :)

    ReplyDelete