Friday, June 1, 2012

Warning: Will Make Your Mouth Water

Besides our wedding weekend...I'm pretty sure this past weekend ranks up near the top of the list as one of my favorite weekends ever with my hubby. Four glorious days off...the weather was hot, but still bareable. It was just chill, with no real agenda, yet we always seemed to have something going on, kinda at our own lazy pace.

Monday, in true American tradition, we had a cookout with burgers, fries, and beans. We invited my parents and our friends, Martha and Justin to join us.

But the real star of the show were these apple dumplings, adapted from the Pioneer Woman's recipe found here.

Dear hubby had requested apple pie, and although pie is not difficult, I just didn't feel like fussing with it. This recipe was a MORE than suitable alternative...and sooooooo easy.

Memorial Day Apple Dumplings (my changes are in bold)

2 whole Granny Smith Apples (I used 3 smaller ones, it's what we had)
2 cans (8 Oz. each) Crescent Rolls (Kroger brand worked fine)
2 sticks Butter (hey, I never said it was healthy)
1-1/2 cup Sugar (I used 1cup)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Cinnamon, To Taste
1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda (I used about 1/2 can of a 12 oz mello yello, again, it's what we had)


Preparation Instructions

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into slices. Roll apple slices in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Definitely need to grease the pan!




Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples.

 


Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan, and even some down the middle. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't brown too quickly near the end.


Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.


WARNING: Prepare this dish at your own risk. It is beyond imaginable.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try that one. You know I love some apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmhhh. Can attest to this incredible goodness. Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!

    Can I put in a request for our visit?

    ReplyDelete